It has really been sometime since I've touched those books on my shelf, and now, I can do something better...... pick them up!!! hahahaha, lame...........
As most of you know, the next upcoming movie for The Twilight Series, Eclipse, is going to be out in theaters soon. And as weird as it may sound, I have already read the last book, Breaking Dawn, but I haven read Eclipse (current read)...... haha, but this is not the first time I've done that, I've been doing the same for a few other series. Reason: because I bought the later one first, some by mistake, some because I couldn't find the earlier one.
The Twilight Series, one of the most popular vampire series of all times, also one of my favorites. Needless to say, most people are already aware of what the storyline is about, even for those who has not read the book, I'm sure that you have at least watched the movie. The twilight series, is indeed a very good read, popular especially amongst the girls, all fantasizing and wishing that they would have their own personal Edward Cullen. And as for the guys, all of them would want their own Bella as well. (But I find her annoying most of the time though)
All the four books are well crafted, with plots that would absorb you into the book, not allowing you to put it down. But the only book that I found a little odd, is the forth and final installment to the series, Breaking Dawn. The plot of the story is just way off and the style of the plot is very unlike the other three. But however, though the story is odd, it somehow appeals to you, and it is no where near boring, just odd, but never boring.
Another series that I love reading, and also my personal and all time favorite, is Harry Potter. Childish you might say, but the plot will never be the cliche typical book you read everyday. This is the very novel that got me hooked onto books. You can never predict what will come next, when you think this is how it is going to be, think again. J.K. Rowling could twist the story in ways you would never expect, leaving you wanting more.
The plot is fascinating, but the ending is somewhat disappointing though. I expected more action to it. But it somehow just...... ended. But no matter what, it will still be my favorite.
The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, a series that I came across by accident, and I do mean pure accident. Who says you cannot judge a book by its cover? I stumbled upon the second installment to the series, Spirit Walker, while I was browsing in the book store, and the book caught my eye because the cover was unique, and for some reason, I really really wanted the book, I do not know why but I do. And this series turned out to be rather addictive.
I'm still waiting for the final installment, Ghost Hunter, to be out in Malaysia. It has been out for quite sometime but I still could not find it in the bookstores. Even Kinokuniya failed me!!!! (how could you... I trusted you......) So, I'm still waiting, and waiting, and waiting..... and waiting......... *snores*
Besides series, I do have some other novels that I like. One of it is The Harmony Silk Factory, written by Tash Aw, a Malaysian author who is now living in London. I'm impressed that a Malaysian author could make it into the bestseller list *bangga* (the reason why I read the book). And I have to say, he did a really good job. The way he wrote it is beyond my expectations, and there is no way you could tell that it is written by a Malaysian. Though some people say that it is boring, because the plot is somewhat slow, and the beginning is pretty flat, but as it goes on, it gets better and better. A true master piece, written by a Malaysian!!!!
Another one, my personal favorite, is The Time Traveller's Wife. The plot is tremendous, utterly original. Most people might think that the story is about Henry, the lead male character, as he is the one who time travels, and thus, the story is telling about how he lives his life, faces obstacles, etc.... But the novel's main focus is actually about his wife, as stated in the title of the book. It's about how she copes with her husband's disorder, the sacrifices she has made, and the pain she has to endure. It is a touching love story that shows you the true meaning of love, making you treasure you loved ones even more.
I tend to prefer reading series instead of individual novels, partially because most fantasy novels (one of my favorite genre) comes in this form. Besides that, it is also due to the fact that I tend to grow onto the novels that I read. (I'm sure readers will understand what I mean) As you read a novel, you will start to fall in love with the characters and you do not want to let them go. Reading makes your imagination run wild, it brings you into their world and it is as if you are living in it. You become fond with everything about the book, characters, setting, plot, style, etc. Finishing the book is like parting with a good friend, leaving the characters, leaving their world. So if it is a series, there will always be an upcoming installment (though it will be dreadful when it ends), allowing you to continue.
All in all, you could say that I'm crazy over books, especially when there's a 50% or more discount (heaven~~), even if I do not read them, I like to just buy and collect the interesting looking ones, heheh..... but I'm low on funds, sad....... how I wish that books were cheaper......

0 comments:
Post a Comment